Frequently Asked Questions for Tenants

Why do I have to register?
For security purposes it is our company's policy that all prospective tenants register with us. This is simply a matter of filling out a form and providing photographic ID. Registration is free and it gives us an idea of what type of property you are looking for. 

Can I rent through First Avenue Property if I am under 18?
Under the Residential Tenancies Act, minors are prohibited from entering into tenancy agreements. To discuss this further please contact one of our friendly Property Managers. 

Do I need insurance?
First Avenue Property requires you obtain Household Contents Insurance as the Landlord's insurance will not cover your possessions. In some instances tenants have been held liable for damage caused to a property, therefore, it is advisable to have insurance which will cover any accidents. Learn more about the importance of tenant insurance in this post on our blog. 

How much will my bond be?
Your bond can be up to 4 weeks rent. Each tenancy is considered independently and the bond calculated accordingly. 

When do I need to pay my bond?
Your bond will need to be paid in full by the time you move in. 

Who holds my bond?
By law all bonds collected will be held by The Department of Building and Housing. You will receive written confirmation containing your bond lodgement reference number. 

What if I don't pay my rent?
If for any reason you miss a rental payment your Property Manager will contact you to see if there are any problems. Should this rent remain or continue to be unpaid you will be issued with a 14 Day Notice to remedy the situation.  If rental is still not paid then an application to Tenancy Services will generally be made to have a mediation hearing scheduled. If mediation is not successful then at a Tenancy Tribunal Hearing an Order will be made against you for rental arrears, your tenancy may also be terminated. 

What happens if I breach my tenancy agreement?
If you fail to treat the property as you are required to for the time period agreed upon, or fail to leave it in the condition agreed then you will be liable for any costs involved in bringing the property back up to the standard required. Similarly, if you fail to pay your rent an Order of the Tenancy Tribunal may be obtained against you. 

Can my rent be increased?
Under the Residential Tenancy Act 1986 rents can only be increased once every 180 days and the tenant must be given 60 days written notice of any increase. 

How frequent will property inspections be?
First Avenue Property will inspect every 3 months. You will receive written notice of all inspections at least 48 hours prior. 

Who do I contact if something needs repairing?
Please contact our office on 377 0509 and leave a message for your Property Manager, or discuss any urgent repairs with our reception staff.

Who takes care of the gardening at my property?
It is your responsibility to keep gardens reasonably tidy, weeds at a minimum and ensure the lawns are mowed regularly unless your Tenancy Agreement states otherwise.

Do I have to give notice before vacating my property?

Yes. If you are on a periodic tenancy you are required to give 21 days written notice before vacating. This notice is taken from the time it reaches our office so please allow 4 days for postage. You may give your notice via post, fax or email, forms are also available at our office should you wish to call in. 

You can not give notice if you have a Fixed Term Tenancy however, should your circumstances change and you have to vacate your property before your fixed term tenancy expires, please contact your Property Manager immediately to discuss your options.

Can I use my bond to pay the last few weeks of my rent?

Can I get a rental reference?
Once your tenancy has ceased you may request a written reference from your Property Manager.

Looking to sell or rent?
Get a FREE Appraisal Now
Property Search
Price from
Price to
Price from
Price to
Real Estate News
Christchurch Rental Market Hot in January 2021 TELL ME MORE »
How to present a rental property for viewings TELL ME MORE »
Can landlords claim tax deductions for costs related to Healthy Homes Standards? TELL ME MORE »
Should I Sell My Investment Property? TELL ME MORE »
Are You Aware of The Healthy Homes Assessment Deadline of 1 December 2020? TELL ME MORE »
View All